And I’m not alone. There are many of us sick of the processed rubbish. So I did something. For over a year I’ve been writing and recording hundreds of my own songs on my laptop using a Line 6 tone port, a Taylor acoustic, a Fender strat, and a Shure mike. I call the set up The Hexyl Circle.
In 2006, I uploaded enough tracks to fill a CD which I burned and called Shedworks. One track, Feel a Little Love, has been downloaded 105 times on Itunes alone.
Maybe people thought they were downloading Depeche Mode’s Dream On, can you feel a little love. Sorry. If you are one of the 105 people listening to my song Feel a Little Love, or any of my songs, on your I-pod, tell me what you think. I’d love to hear from you.
So now I have 36 minutes of new music on my Hexyl Circle Myspace profile, which in no small way makes up my second CD, call it, Some Day Soon:
1. September 73 (sit back, relax, rock and pop are dead)
2. Who Am I To Disagree? (ft MiNiMaL_aRT) the remix of my song knocks me out.
3. Whatever It Is I Want It – I just visited the Beatles houses, see my last post for photos.
4. Not Strong Enough (ft MiNiMaL_aRT) this amazing remix smooths my melody into a new groove.
5. I’m Not Strong Enough – the original. Not supposed to be there, but Myspace won’t let me delete it.
6. Some Day Soon – you might have heard it on my other Myspace profile. Here’s what they say: “‘some day soon’ is just beautiful, the guitar playing is wonderful, the lyrics are pure poetry and the melody just blows me away with its dynamics…
7. Don’t Spoil It – Plastic Dave wrote the verses and recorded voice, bass, drums, and sublime banjo.
8. Looking Back – new song looking back in time, it’s never nice to look back in time.
9. New Blue Jeans – this grew into some kind of morbid jazz blues.
10. Who Am I To Disagree – the original.
11. Don’t Know What I’m Doing – Bombero made a great final track out of my wobbly dirge. Well I never claimed I knew what I was doing.
Download, kick back, headphones on for the full squeaking chair surround sound effect. No expense has been spared in the recording of this material. What I like most about writing, recording and publishing my own songs is I have the freedom to write and record anything I want. Complete artistic control is about having power. Mainstream music is full of rules, marketing, profiling, conventions, restrictions. I wouldn’t want anything to do with it.
You can download my songs at Libsyn. Myspace downloading is broken. Here’s a taster of the tracks, MiNiMaL_aRT’s remix of my song I’m Not Strong Enough.